Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15 - Days 1 & 2

Greetings from Istanbul!

Highlights so far:

- We weren't told we needed a visa to enter Turkey, and we didn't have enough local currency to pay for them. Fortunately I was able to go to the ATM, where I took out the sufficent funds, and left my NAB Visa Debit card in the ATM. That's right, folks, it took me about 15 minutes on Turkish Soil to lose my ATM card. Rose insisted on getting a card of her own only two weeks ago. Bless her soul.

- A special mention to Sass, whose wedding present of 20 Euros (among other things) was invaluable as we tried to get through the airport.

- The first smile I got was when I introduced myself at the customs as Australian. "ANZAC", came the reply, followed by a big grin. Most people here seem to like meeting Aussies.

- We had a private transfer to our hotel in the old city of Istanbul. The driver was a pleasant enough chap, but he left his seatbelt off, and drove 120kmh through 80kmh zones. Apparently speed limits are optional in Turkey. The side of me convinced that he knew what he was doing managed to override the side of me that was sure I was going to die.

- Later in the morning, we walked around the local area and went to a new hotel for morning tea and Turkish sweets. The view was spectacular, as we were able to see around 250 degrees around the Old and New Cities. Sweets and refreshments very nice, and hospitality first class. Even got told we were a "very nice couple".

- First impressions of Turkey are as a male dominated society, where most smoke to keep warm, and the place is still under construction. Massive, beautiful houses of God adorn the skyline, and the walls of the ancient city, thought to be some 2500 years old, double as walls for some four story weatherboard apartments.

- Next post tomorrow night, with cruise today and museum vist tomorrow, and hopefully some more good eating in between. I leave you with the prayer announcements reverberating in the background.

No comments: